Thursday, March 06, 2008

Today I was playing 20 questions with one of my classes. Basically, I wanted to know what they do in school. I only see them once a week. They have three English lessons, but I only teach one of them. I have noticed that they don't bring much to school. The girls basically come to class with just their purses. I found out that they don't have any books. They only have notebooks and papers.

They have approximately 30 lessons a week, Monday through Thursday. On Fridays they work at different places around the city and receive grades for it. I would consider it an internship, but I'm not sure if that's what it is or not.

This group is one of my older groups, so they will be finishing school this year. I asked them what they will do when they are done with school and they said that they aren't sure. They will probably work in a similar position but in a different workplace. I asked them if they will continue schooling at another school. They all answered with a resounding "NO".

They really aren't learning this year. They feel hopeless and I think abandoned for reasons I can't post.

The students just say... this is the education system in Hungary. I wish I could help them. My heart goes out to them. I know there is nothing I can do but pray for them and hope that one day they will have the same hope I have. This hope doesn't rest in a position in life, but in the one who created life.

No comments: