Thursday, January 18, 2007

...more adventures in public transportation...

I have a few options on how to get to school. What I usually do is walk a few blocks and then take two different trams and then walk another block. Then I arrive at school. I can also walk to the front of the next block of flats (aka apartment building), take a trolley bus, then a regular bus, then the two trams. Well today, I decided that I would take the trolley bus to the regular bus. But while I was waiting for the regular bus, I changed my mind and decided to walk a couple blocks to the closest tram stop. That way I would only have to make one more change.

So there I am riding along on the tram as planned thinking this worked out. I'll only need to change one more time and I didn't see the bus pass me as I walked so I'm no further behind than I would have been.

Then all the sudden the tram conductor comes on the speaker and says something in Hungarian and everyone gets off the tram. I, not knowing the language, can figure out what is going on. I got off the tram too. Then I have to go across the street to the bus stop, with everyone else and catch the next bus. So, I get on the bus. But this bus won't take me all the way to my school. So at the end stop, which is also a form of a transportation hub, I had to find which bus would get me closer to school. Praise God that I had previously taken a bus from that point with a student on our way to school once, so I could kind of remember where to catch it. I found the bus, got on and rode that to as close to the school as it would get me. Then after getting off that bus, I walked down the street a little and caught the tram that takes me a block away from my school.

So...all that to say, I took 5 forms of public transport today. I'm just glad my first lesson for today was cancelled, otherwise I would have missed half of it. But all was good...I made it to school and had plenty of time to do what I needed to do. Life is an adventure!! And I'm enjoying every minute of it!!

No comments: